Iran Top 10 churches
St. Thaddeus Monastery
The Saint Thaddeus Monastery (Armenian: Սուրբ Թադէոսի վանք Surb Tadeosi vank’ ;or Ghareh Keliseh, literally “The Black Church”) is an ancient Armenian monastery located in the mountainous area of Iran’s West Azerbaijan Province, about 20 kilometers from the town of Maku.
The monastery is visible from a distance because of the massiveness of the church, strongly characterized by the polygonal drums and conical roofs of its two domes. There are several chapels nearby: three on the hills east of the stream, one approximately 3km south of the monastery on the road to Bastam, and another that serves as the church for the village of Ghara-Kilise.
st.stepanos church is located at 10 kilometrs west of JOLFA whit the distance of 3 kilometers by the ARAX river near DARRE SHAM regon. in which the deseted DARRE SHAM village has been sityated on it.the name of the church driven from the name of the first martyr of the christian world. the church situated in a tortifiud region,too.opinions about the date of construction some believe that the original building constructed in the begining of the christionity,but TAVERNIE dated it safavid era.
This church has been built by Russian forces, when qazvin was occupied. Tomb of a Russian pilot is here.
Church of St. Mary (Nane maryam church)
Many old churches remain in Iran from the early days of Christianity. The Church of St. Mary in northwestern Iran (West Azerbaijan Province- Urmia city) for example, is considered by some historians to be the second oldest church in Christendom after the Church of Bethlehem in the West Bank. It is believed by some to have been first built in 32 AD. A Chinese princess, who contributed to its reconstruction in 642 AD, has her name engraved on a stone on the church wall. The famous Italian traveller Marco Polo also described the church in his visit.
Current building of the church belongs to Sassanian era and its interior design is a combination of Sassanian and Arsacid architecture.
Church of St. Mary does not look like other churches.
Zoorzoor (Barone) Church
this church is in the village of Barone in Zangar Valley, and in order to save it from damages, the church structure was hauled up on the mountain with the utmost care and concentration. This church dates back to the 10th century AD.
Vank Cathedral was one of the first churches to be established in the city’s Jolfa district by Armenian deportees settled by Shah Abbas I after the Ottoman War of 1603-1605. The varying fortunes and independence of this suburb across the Zayandeh rood and its eclectic mix of European missionaries, mercenaries and travelers can be traced almost chronologically in the cathedral’s combination of building styles and contrasts in its external and internal architectural treatment.
Bethlehem church isfahan
Holy Bethlehem Church is from the Safavid period and is located in Isfahan, Jolfa neighborhood. It is one of the few churches open to the public., close to Jolfa Square and the churches of Hakop and the Blessed Virgin Mary and Vank Church. It was built in 1628 by khajeh petros Valijanian, a famous merchant of the Safavid era. Bethlehem Church has the largest dome among the churches of Isfahan and exquisite historical paintings has been drawn on the walls of the church hall.The exterior of the church is 25 meters high and although without any decorations, but it has a magnificent view.There was the tomb of the founder of the church and his family in the yard. The exterior of the church is brick and much like the arches of the Naqshe Jahan square.
Saint Sarkis Cathedral
Saint Sarkis Cathedral is an Armenian Apostolic church in Tehran, Iran.
The construction of St. Sarkis Church in Tehran began from 1964 and was complete by 1970. The church was built by Sarkisian brothers in memory of their parents.
At beginning the Tehran prelacy was located at conjunction of St. Mother Mary Church in central Tehran. In the early 1960s it was decided to change the site of the prelacy offices into new location.
This is the very first Armenian Church in the territory of Esfahan, and was constructed in 1065 AH, after the Armenians immigrated to this vicinity. At present this church is located in the courtyard of the St. Mary’s Church.
Saint Mary Church
The Saint Mary’s Armenian church is an Armenian Christian church located in Tabriz, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran. It is the largest and oldest Christian church in Tabriz and a notable centre for Armenian national and religious ceremonies held by the Armenian community of Tabriz. The church is located in the Dik Bashi district of Tabriz.
This church was built in the 6th century AH (12th century AD) and in his travel chronicles, Marco Polo, the famous Venetian traveler who lived during the 8th century AH (14th century AD), referred to this church on his way to China. For many years, Saint Mary’s served as the seat of the Azarbaijan Armenian archbishop.